The world of Rugby League.

rleague.com

2013 Round 1 Vs Manly

MrFourex

MrFourex

More bending people to his will......?

:lol:

Give it time. Peter Wallace will continue to produce lack lustre mediocre performances......and Norman will go ok at the back. He has good form earlier in his NRL career at fullback.

I'm hoping Kahu finds form early in the lower grade and forces his way into the starting line up. Moving Norman back into the halves

leaving Wallace left right out.

Hunt in the 14 ........Norman and Kahu. There's some talent there with an old head in Prince to steer them round. 
Hancock02

Hancock02

2013 Squad being introduced now. 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Why couldn't he hang onto it? 
SteveH

SteveH

I have reservations about Norman at FB, but he has some reasonable history in the position and that must count for something. He will be hungry to prove something and may just pull it off.
Whereas, Hoffman was pretty dreadful there all last year. He is undoubtedly a good footballer but he lacks everything a fullback needs. I posted the following last year and nothing has changed ........

I totally agree with "Tic", Hoffman just does not provide any open play options to the backline. He just doesn't! In the modern game, that’s what it is all about. As proof, compare him to Stewart, Inglis, Boyd or Slater.

Also he hasn't got the other two essential criteria for the fullback job ...
1/ He doesn't run the ball back hard. When he does he often spends the next couple of rucks recuperating. What gives? Is it fragility or ticker?

2/ He rarely beats the first line of defence. He neither has a step that bamboozles a la Billy or Dugan and he certainly doesn’t intimidate like Inglis or Stewart. 
farles

farles

I'll say it again, if none of you blokes can't see the massive mistake Griffin has made by not naming Hodges at fullback then you must be watching a different game to me.

hodges is the only guy that can create opportunities for his outside man. Norman obviously can't otherwise he'd be playing 5/8 and Hoffman is a joke.

Then there is the other problem in the centres with Reed not knowing how to pass the ball to an open winger. He always tries to beat the man himself then offload instead of giving it early once in a while.

Must I remind you all of the last time Hodges played fullback. It was the last 10 minutes of last season and he had a direct hand in two great tries when the game was already over.

Griffin is a either a joke of a coach or Norman must be holding something over Griffin that can ruin his career. 
farles

farles

My ideal back line would be

1 Hodges
2 Maranta/Hoffman
3 maranta/Hoffman
4 Norman
5 Kemp (we need a finisher with speed)
6 Wallace
7 Prince

Bennett always said you can't beat speed and its something we don't have without Kemp.

Hodges can come in either side and create room for the centres plus at fullback he won't be under any defensive burden. 
Morkel

Morkel

I don't know how well Norman would defend in the centres, but apparently Hoffman has played well there in the Q Cup. If Kahu gets some form going he's another centre option too. So Hodges at Fullback is looking more viable to me. 
Ezekuel

Ezekuel

mate everyone can see how great hodges is at fullback, but those same people also want him to play more than 5 games this year 
Morkel

Morkel

I'd argue that the up & back of being in the defensive line, with regular short, sharp changes of direction, would cause more wear than the roaming role of fullback. The sniffing around the ruck, gliding around from side-to-side etc, may require more stamina over a longer period of time, but if you've seen recent training pics I don't think that's an issue. 
MrFourex

MrFourex

He would be a LOT more involved at fullback...... 
Waldo1

Waldo1

I think there were some positives from Norman at fullback, I certainly rate Prince over him in the halves though.

I must admit I am concerned also about Reed/Hoffman, I didn't think Reed was that flash in the last trial, will be interesting to see how it all goes. 
Waldo1

Waldo1

Let me grab my tin foil hat. 
Nick22Bronco

Nick22Bronco

Prince will be the goal kicker i take it? 
HarrySack

HarrySack

Regarding Hodges at FB: Who do we put in the 4 if we put him at the back? Do we have another centre that could step up to the plate? As far as team balance goes, I think we are better served leaving Hodges where he is. Maybe once Kahu gets a little more xp we could give it a shot, but with Reed currently playing like ass, and Hoffman a bit of an unknown on the wing, we don't want to weaken both sides that much.

1. Hoffman
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Marantra

Is what I'd hoped we'd see for round 1 but obviously Copley shot those plans down, hence our current situation. 
TheBigShow

TheBigShow

So, ive had a few days to digest our Round One team, whilst i know im an Armchair critic and a bloody critical one at that, i do however have a couple of concerns that i see have been shared by others already.

Like any supporter / fan of the broncos and the game, i seriously love winning and hate losing with a pasion. IMO.. and i have held this opinion for since day one of his appointment.. I dont agree that Anthony Griffin is the best coach for the broncos and i also believe our current player development, recuritment and retention system is seriously flawed.

Round One team issuse.

* Sam Thaiday at Prop ??? Sammy isnt a Prop, last time they tried to play him there it was a failure. He will struggle to keep his place in the Origin Team this year with Josh Palaili in the mix. Ben Hannet is far better prop.

* Mitchell Dodds ?? Dont rate him. Dave Hala twice the player he is .

* Norman at Fullback : Wrong Option. Only reason Hodges isntr there is cause of the extra workload, they scared he will break down.

* Jack Reed is about as good a centre as Steve Michaels. which means he isnt that good. Reed isnt NRL standard IMO.

* Hoffman on the wing ?? WTF ??

Our squad isnt as strong as it could be . Teo leaving was the worst blunder, 
Morkel

Morkel

While we're each entitled to our opinions, my opinion is that your opinion is mostly wrong ;)

Yes thaiday is a better back-rower than prop, but he would be even worse as an impact prop than a starting one. At least this way he can absorb a lot of the fiery opening that Manly are going to try to throw at us. Once everyone's softened up, Hannant can do his thing.

Dodds is a pretty handy runner, but an awesome defender. Hala can't last more than 15 minutes, whereas Dodds can play 80, meaning if he only has to play 30 or 40 they'll be quality minutes and he'll play them hard.

Reed may not be much better than Michaels in attack, but he is light years better in defence. The only thing worse than not scoring points is leaking 50.

Norman at FB and Hoffman on the wing has me similarly baffled though. 
professional

professional

Hmm, yeah I suppose management should have just done the smart thing and signed Te'o followed by telling Schubert to go screw himself. 
farles

farles

Here is the solution to cover the centres if Hodges were to play fullback. Alex Glenn can play in the centres along with Corey Norman. This will then allow Thaiday to play in the backrow with Gillett where is more effective. Move Reed onto the wing where he is not asked to catch and pass and we can utilise him under high balls in attack. On the other wing, we put in Kemp. We are then equipped with pace on one wing and height on the other.

1. Hodges
2. Kemp
3. Norman
4. Glenn
5. Reed
6. Prince
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCollugh
10. Maguire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker
14. Hunt *sigh
15. Hala
16. Dodds
17. Stagg 
professional

professional

I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than watch Norman and Glenn play in the centres. In fact, that would be my advice to all Broncos fans if it happens. 
broncos4life

broncos4life

No. No. I sick of this 'play Glenn in the centres' garbage. Just because you can play in the centres doesn't mean you should. Backrow is his best position and he is our most effective backrower. Why drastically weaken two positions just to appease your hard on for hodges at fb? 
cpr_89

cpr_89

Interesting to see Kemp has been named a few times when he hasn't done anything for anyone in around three years or so...how did he go in the trials? 
HarrySack

HarrySack

I think people want him there for his speed, something we lack atm. I believe he played quite well in the trials. 
Maroon4life

Maroon4life

Norman in the centres? cute.

Give me Prince & Wallace in the halves, Hunt on the bench and sit Norman in the Qcup for a few years. 
TheBigShow

TheBigShow

Hey Senor & Morkel

Yeah, I agree most of what i have said is probly wrong if i was selecting the team, theres no doubting that, thats why im comfortable sitting at home being an armchair critic.

Please dont get me wrong inregards to Reed and Michaels.. Micheals is diabolical. I know Reed is a solid player, i just dont think he is the future superstar outside back the clubs needs.

After thinking about the points u raised about dodds and Hala they are extremely valid.

My concern is overal in Norman at Fullback and Hoffman on the wing. It has been proven that you need an X Factor player in that role of Fullback these days. I dont think we have that player in either Norman or Hoffman.

Nor do i think Players like Joe Bond who are in the squad could offer this role to the team either.

so where to next ?? 

Recent Rugby League Posts

Awks - And 2 years of the 8 my 2 nephews have been members.. Congratulations to the u12s in the finals win over nsw 26-6
sportsnews30 - It’s Australia vs New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday.The match is slated to start at 8 p.m. AEST (10 p.m. NZST, 10 a.m. GMT) at...
ALX21 - Congrats to Sam Lavea for his debut 2 weeks ago. Jack Morris named for his debut for the Eels.
sportsnews30 - Taranaki vs Counties Manukau live stream Rugby 2014 online streaming & TV Channels. We must be ensure you the best online Rugby Live stre...
Fromthenest - Frenchville SS 46 def St Pats Gympie 4. They will play Weir SS sometime in the next fortnight.
seaeagles - your post is a good while back now,but I think you are on to a good thing there.i am based on the southern tip of the central coast(ex-Sy...
OutbackEyes - CAIRNS FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND 2014 Tassell Trophy Club Challenge Under 14’s Carnival will be held at Vico Oval, Irene St Mooroobool, Cairns...

Game by Game Discussions

Table 'rleague.meeting' doesn't exist
SELECT m.SportID as CategoryID, 'SportID' as CategoryType, m.Name as MeetingName, e.Name as EventName, m.MeetingID, e.EventID, e.EventNumber, e.StartTime, e.ForumPosts as Posts FROM `event` e INNER JOIN meeting m ON m.MeetingID = e.MeetingID WHERE NOT e.`Status` = 'closed' AND e.EndTime > UTC_TIMESTAMP() AND (m.SportID = 4 AND m.Removed = 0) AND (ISNULL(OrderIndex) OR OrderIndex <= 100) GROUP BY e.EventID ORDER BY e.StartTime LIMIT 20
backtrace/var/www/html/core/master.php800mc/var/www/html/data/forumPosts.php737loadUpcomingEvents/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php160Process/var/www/html/api/v2/api.php75Run/var/www/html/core/master.php866renderSlats/var/www/html/rleague/Forum_Right.php53include_once/var/www/html/Forum.php181